This blog is a place to critique individual pieces and works in progress.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Austin Ice cream Parlor

I am carrying on my observations now that I have moved to Austin. When I have that moment of, what I can only describe as sublime, I try to record everything I can in my minds eye and then take it back to my studio and create a piece. The sensation is very euphoric. I am in a 15 to 20 second state of bliss before space and time sync back up and I am in reality again. In this piece I was overwhelmed by the shear beauty of the moment as I watched this couple eating their ice cream. I wanted to try and capture the vulgarity and sensuality that I experienced trying not to offend the subjects at the same time. I am finding it less and less necessary to produce or infuse shocking elements in my work in order to make a point. I am starting to realize that it is all there already.

2 Comments:

Blogger trollswagen said...

its very interesting that you don't feel that you have to introduce those shocking elements...

although i would not eliminate them, because those "shocking elements" are also some of the most attractive and emotive features of your previous work.

i guess there is a balance between that refreshing "kick in the face", but at the same time you don't want it to be gratuitous.

5:05 PM

 
Blogger kpnil said...

I think what I have learned showing my work in Houston is that people just turn away when you try to shock them. Of course some people are intrigued by it. The people that turn away intrigue me. I want to try to achieve the same feeling or impact through subtlety instead of a smack in the face. Lure them in to the piece and maybe a couple of days later it will smack them in the face. If I can convey those same emotive feelings using subtlety I think it will give my work much more depth. I like to set challenges for myself. It keeps me from getting bored with my work.

6:50 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home